Sunday, February 5, 2012

East Canyon on the Ice




My cell phone was dead, so I was unable to take any pictures. But I had a really fun day on East Canyon yesterday morning.

The truck said it was only 4 degrees, and it felt like it. The ice was slick and hard, with a spattering of snow in spots.

My first hole was over 70 feet of water. So I cut another and moved in to only 50 feet. I began here, placing my "nail tail" jig down about 10 to 12 feet, looking for cruising rainbows. I found them. I landed 5, and missed probably twice that many. The bite was rather aggressive, but they only gave you one quick shot and they were gone.

I only stayed about 3 hours. Since I was alone, I saw it as a good opportunity to get home early and do some things. The bite died off about 10:30 or so anyway. But it was my first trip out in several weeks, and I had a great time. Even though the catching wasn't that great. I caught rainbows in the 14 to 16 inch range, and they fought well.

I'm looking forward to going back soon, and possibly arriving a little earlier; before daylight.




No comments: